Home - The Star
August 2, 2014
Star News



 

Alleged scammer gets bail extension

Christopher Thomas, STAR Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

A St James man, who was arrested last year, after paraphernalia connected to the illicit lottery scam were reportedly found at his house, had his bail extended when he appeared in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court on Thursday.

Nineteen-year-old O'Bryan Cover, who is of a Catadupa address, is charged with possession of identity information in relation to the lottery scam. His case was set for mention on September 23, after the court was told that the prosecution's case-file was not ready.

It is alleged that, on November 22, 2013, Cover was arrested after 26 lead sheets with contact information of persons living overseas were found at his house during a joint police and military operation in Catadupa.

On Thursday, clerk of the court Shelly-Ann Greaves told Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tie that the verification of the contact numbers, which were reportedly on the lead sheets, had not been done.

"We are still waiting on verification of the numbers, as the investigating officer is having a difficulty in getting this done. He spoke to the Major Organized Crime and Anti-Corruption Task Force (MOCA) in Kingston, and was told that it is not necessary," said Greaves.

"The verification needs to be done," RM Tie replied firmly. "Sir, you are to return here on September 23. Your bail is extended until then," the magistrate told Cover.

Bookmark and Share
Home | Gleaner Blogs | Gleaner Online | Go-Jamaica | Go-Local | Feedback | Disclaimer | Advertisement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us