August 26, 2014
Cops probe if ... Madman sets man on fire
André Williams, STAR Writer
A Kingston community is now in mourning after an elderly resident succumbed to his injuries after he was attacked by a man believed to be of unsound mind.
Information reaching THE STAR is that the incident occurred late last Wednesday in Kingston 11, when a mentally ill man went on a rampage with the use of some gasolene, newspapers and a lighter.
According to eyewitness reports, the items were used to set the senior ablaze. Our news team understands that the now deceased man, 57-year-old Anthony Connel, was set upon about 9:30 p.m., shortly after his attacker had allegedly set fire to two motor vehicles which were parked in a different section of the community.
An eyewitness told THE STAR, "The man stand up ina di yard and di madman jus push the gate and come in and throw something (gas) on the man. By the time we look, him light the newspaper and throw it on the man, and him start blaze immediately from head to toe."
Connel was rushed to the hospital where he had been undergoing treatment until he lost his battle with life.
Reports are that after the accused committed the act, he ran from the vicinity and some community members gave chase, hurling stones and other missiles at him.
THE STAR gathered that he was eventually cornered and captured by the residents after a frantic search, which saw scores of people running from one section of the community to the other.
"Dem hold him and tie him up and call the police fi come for him. The police dem have him in custody from Wednesday night", said a resident.
A relative of the deceased spoke of the mood in the community following news of Connel's death.
He said, "Yesterday people nuh stop come to the yard and a say dem can't believe say him dead, dem vex how dem hand over the man to the police. Dah man deh jus go to the bar and have a drink and go home, him never did fi dead so."
Some residents also called for greater things to be done where mentally ill persons are concerned.
The Hunts Bay police are investigating the incident.
Meanwhile, there was another deadly attack last Thursday on an infant in the parish of St Ann, by a person believed to be of unsound mind.
Reports are that tragedy struck in Roadside district, St Ann, when an alleged mentally ill man severed the head of a two-year-old boy and slit the throat of a man.
The alleged attacker is said to be a relative of the two-year-old, who is affectionately called 'Jay'.
The St Ann's Bay police are still probing the circumstances surrounding the incident.