How to: Getting a police record

December 31, 2015

Employers and businesses typically require a police record to be provided by an individual so that they can get information about a person's background. Here is how to get the police record:

1. A visit to the Inland Revenue Department Offices (Tax Office) is required to begin the process of receiving the record. The receipt must be in the name of the applicant.

2. The fees are: $3,000.00 - Regular Service - 21 working days $6,000.00 - Express Service - 5 working days

$8,000.00 - Next Day Service (This service is only available at the main office which is located at 34 Duke Street)

3. The receipt and the following documents must be


Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)

Two passport-sized photographs (should not be certified or embossed)

One of the following three pieces of valid identification - i) passport, ii) national identification card, iii) driver's licence

4. If the police record is for overseas/travelling purposes, a valid passport must be presented

5. These documents must be taken to Technical Services Division (Criminal Records Office) at 34 Duke Street, Kingston.

6. Applications may also be made at the Summit Police Station (St James), May Pen Police Station (Clarendon), and Area 2 Police Headquarters, Pompano Bay, (St Mary) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays only.

7. A letter of authorisation must be provided if the police record is to be collected by someone other than the applicant. The bearer must have identification.

Other Features Stories