Kingston family loses everything in fire
The only roof Ann Marie White has known for herself and her family of six went up in a blaze last Friday on Hannah Street, Allman Town, Kingston.
It has been four days since the horrific incident, and White said she is nowhere close to picking up the pieces.
"I really don't know officially what started the fire, but I think it may have been a faulty electrical connection. The weekend was hard, as expected, but I have a friend who help me out and I stay with her. But it is really stressing because we want back our own. People in the community also help us out with clothes and other items, and mi really thankful for them," White said.
Reports are that approximately 3:30 p.m., residents saw smoke and fire coming from White's dwelling. They tried to quench the blaze while waiting for fire units from the Trench Town, York Park and Rollington Town fire stations. White, who had got a job less than two weeks before the incident, said she got a distressing call that her two-bedroom house was on fire.
"My friend had to carry mi home because I couldn't walk or move. We lose everything, not even a suit of clothes except what we were wearing. The children dem tings gone. Mi buy everything and everything bun up. Mi just a member it and it a hurt mi head" she said.
As she remains homeless, White said she is overly worried that her two children, ages nine and seven, along with her five-year-old grandchild are unable to attend school.
"Mi would really want dem to go back to school, but as mi say, dem uniform and every other material burn up. Right now, anything I can get help towards, I would accept it. We a try get back we documents dem, but mi just want to see the children dem gone back out. It really rough, but mi grateful for all of who in the community who give little help," she said.
Persons wishing to assist Ann Marie White may contact her at 876 264 5990.