Waterhouse draws on Young debut

December 14, 2015
Ian Allen/Photographer Waterhouse's Kemar Beckford somersaults as he celebrates scoring the first goal, while teammates Rohan Amos (right) and Sean Coleman (partly hidden) look on,. during the Red Stripe Premier League football match at Waterhouse Stadium yesterday. The game ended 2-2.

Paul Young's second stint as coach of Waterhouse Football Club started with a 2-2 draw against 10-man Tivoli Gardens at Waterhouse Mini Stadium yesterday.

The home team took the lead through Kemar Beckford after 10 minutes. Junior Flemmings equalised midway the first-half, and Andre McFarlane fired them in front after 62 minutes. Kenroy Howell secured a point for the hosts four minutes later.

Tivoli was reduced to 10 players in the 69th minute when Ranike Anderson was ejected for a second bookable offence.

Young, who just had three days of training with the team, thought they should have won, but expects better things down the road.

"We let them off the hook," he told reporters after the game. "With 20 minutes to go, we had an extra player and we didn't capitalise on the chances because they didn't follow instructions. But the discipline has stepped up.

"We just need to get more organised defensively, concentrate throughout the duration of the game, and score the chances when we get them," he said.

Tivoli lost their top defender, Anderson, with 20 minutes left, when he clipped Beckford's heel after the whistle went and was shown his second yellow of the day.

Waterhouse seized the initiative and put their opponents on the back foot for the rest of the match, and they thought they had the winner when Beckford fired past Scott with almost the last kick of the game, but the goal was called back for offside.

Waterhouse remain at the bottom with 14 points. Tivoli are ninth on 19 points.

Meanwhile, Boys' Town stunned leaders Portmore 3-0 with a brace from Shamar Nelson.

Joint leading scorer Corey Burke had a goal in Rivoli's 2-2 draw with Humble Lion to take his season's tally to 11.

UWI stopped Cavalier 1-0 on Anthony Greenland strike.

Other Sports Stories