Calls for Brazil's football boss to resign
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP):
Marco Polo del Nero, the embattled president of the Brazilian football federation, started his 150-day leave of absence yesterday to prepare his defence against wide-ranging corruption charges.
A spokesman for the Brazilian Football Confederation in Rio de Janeiro said yesterday that Del Nero could extend the 150-day leave at least once.
The pressure mounted Sunday for Del Nero to resign as hundreds of players from across the country folded their arms across their chests in protest, standing motionless for 15 seconds before the final round of games to end the season.
"Del Nero must go now," the player group "Common Sense FC" said on its Twitter account. "We want clean elections."
Del Nero was one of 16 football officials indicted last week by the US Department of Justice.
Just hours after the indictments were unsealed, Del Nero announced he was taking a temporary leave of absence to arrange his defence on charges that include racketeering and money laundering. He selected CBF vice-president Marcus Antonio Vicente to replace him.