Okeem Forth's mother ponders KSAFA lawsuit

May 16, 2017
From left : Dominic Elvey, Oshane Campbell, Adrian Davis and Kimani Morgan visiting the family of Olympic Gardens FC footballer Okeem Forth, who died on April 28.

Sandra Seymour, the mother of deceased Olympic Gardens footballer Okeem Forth, is preparing to bury her son in a little under two weeks' time while pondering her legal options against the Major League team and the Kingston and St Andrew Football Association (KSAFA).

Yesterday, Seymour still seemed bewildered by the death of her son as she spoke to STAR Sports from the broken pavement in front of her home in the depressed Olympic Gardens community, less than 300 yards from Cling Cling Oval, where Forth honed his skills.

"When you a sue, you have to have money. Me nuh have nuh money. Right now, funeral set for the 28th and me nuh see what a gwaan right now," Seymour lamented, with evidence of her circumstances obvious in the cracked walls and unfinished verandah steps of her semi-painted house.

Seymour believes that the KSAFA was "careless" with the life of the son she was expecting to follow in the footsteps of another famous Olympic Gardens player, former Reggae Boy and Tranmere Rovers star Ian 'Pepe' Goodison, whose boyhood home is a stone's throw away.

"If they just did what they were to do, he would be alive," she said, adding that he was not a troublemaker.

"Him nuh drink, him nuh smoke, him nuh walk with knife - nothing," she added.

Forth was left unattended with an injury by unqualified persons acting in the capacity of Olympic Gardens' medics after being substituted on April 28 at Constant Spring. The promising player afterwards died at hospital from what an autopsy revealed was heart disease.




In a STAR Sports exclusive, Olympic Gardens' coach Michael Peart admitted that the team had no trained medic on its bench, instead "just a regular ice and cold-compress person". In addition, KSAFA's general secretary, Dwayne Dillon, said that the Corporate Area football body mandates clubs to register trained medical personnel at the start of the season but does not conduct follow-ups on match days.

A legal source told STAR Sports that Forth's family could have grounds on which to pursue a case of negligence against the KSAFA, which failed to ensure that its own rules are adhered.

Seymour and her friend, Diane White, who also spoke to STAR Sports, were even more upset that though Forth died almost three weeks ago, no one from KSAFA had called or visited to offer condolences.

"Them nuh call nobody even fi seh, 'We know it can be a game where there is an accident and we are sorry,'" White pointed out.

"We need something - .justice to come out of this. Them careless. Them careless fi true. It nuh right," she added.

Other Sports Stories