AIDS- Can salt water cure chlamydia?


November 08, 2016

Dear Counsellor,

Sometime ago I had sex with my half-brother. We did not use a condom. I live with my brother, his half-brother and my sister-in-law. My half-brother and their friend pressure me for sex from time to time. I gave in to the half-brother. I have never given in to the friend.

Counsellor, this man tells me that if I don't have sex with him, he will not allow me to stay in the house. He said he cannot afford to 'fatten fowl for mongoose'.

Right now I am confused and not sure what to do. The arrangement my mother had with my brother and his wife is that I would help out in the house and then go to evening classes so I could do over some exams because I want to get in to law school.


My situation here is not pretty. Shortly after my last sexual encounter with this terrible man, I noticed an unusual discharge, a foul odour, and intense itching in my vagina.

I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a sexually transmitted infection. I don't remember the name of the disease, but I think it is chlamydia. Is chlamydia dangerous?

I don't have money to purchase the medication because I had to pay almost $4,000 to see the doctor. I cannot ask my brother for money because he is going to be very angry with me.

While not giving my girlfriend the details, she told me I was just to soak in warm, salty water and it will go away. Can warm salty water really help? What if I'm not treated?

Unfaithful Niece

Dear Unfaithful Niece,

I am sorry to hear about your situation, which has caused you to be infected you with chlamydia. Yes, chlamydia is a dangerous STI. As much as your friend would like to help you, her advice of warm, salty water just won't help.

Untreated chlamydia can cause serious and permanent problems. Chlamydia can spread into your womb and Fallopian tubes, causing an infection known as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).

This can make a woman sterile (unable to have children). Any damage that happens before you are treated will last the rest of your life.

Early treatment is very important. You should visit the nearest health centre, where you don't have to pay. You could also go back to the health-care provider you saw and explain in confidence your situation and your inability to afford treatment.

It is very obvious that you are not happy in your present situation, therefore, you must talk with someone who you can trust and who is able to help you out of your present situation.

For more information on condom use, HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections call the AIDS/STD Helpline toll free at 1888-991-4444.

Other Health Stories