'Thank You' - Young man grateful for support to do brain surgery

December 07, 2018
Jou'Vaughn Reid (centre) chats with Gleaner Company (Media) Limited staff members Shadae Grant (left) who helped to organise the contributions, and Andre Williams, who wrote his story. Reid thanked staff members yesterday for their contribution to cover the cost of his urgently needed, unique brain surgery.

Jou'Vaughn Reid, the young man who was in dire need of assistance to raise funds for a unique brain surgery in October, is back on local soil after successful treatment at the Miami Neuroscience Center in Florida.

THE STAR highlighted Reid's plight in a story on September 30.

Reid, 24, who worked at The Gleaner Company Media Limited for a time, visited the North Street entity yesterday and handed a 'Thank You' plaque to the editorial department.

He also thanked the wider public for its efforts and contributions which helped to save his life.

He told THE WEEKEND STAR: "I just want to tell people thanks for the support, the love, words of encouragement and financial assistance. Without them, this would not have been possible, when you think about the money that was raised ... we are talking about US$22,750. That's pretty much more than $2 million and the fact that we were able to raise that, I am very grateful."

A GoFundMe account was started for Reid and at the time THE STAR published his story, US$5,100 was raised by 129 people. Gleaner staff also chipped in.

Reid said: "With all the help, I was able to raise just a little over the US$22,750 that was needed to do the gamma knife radio survey. It was only offered overseas, so I had to go overseas to do it."

At the time, Reid did not have a US visa.

"We had to go to the US Embassy. We also bought the plane tickets and had accommodation. The hospital provided the transportation," Reid said.

He left Jamaica on October 27 and by October 31, the life changing laser procedure had begun.

In explaining what he remembers, Reid said: "They put a metal frame on my head and screwed it on. I was asleep but my aunt said it sounded like a screw. I now have two scars on my forehead, but if you didn't know, you couldn't tell I did surgery."

Reid said he was feeling "really, really good" but it wasn't all smooth.

"At one point when I was to return to Jamaica, I was feeling pain and was rushed back to the emergency room at Kendal Region Hospital, where I spent eight more days," he said. "I have since got some pain meds and I have been taking them and the pain is going away slowly. I still feel a little pain but that's when I am laying down and trying to get up; otherwise I am good."

The other aspect of the treatment involves a series of tests, however, Reid said that phase would be done locally.

Other News Stories