Iranian director says no to Oscars

by

January 30, 2017
File Iranian film director Asghar Farhadi and his wife Parisa, pose after he was awarded the Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters medal, at the French Ministry of Culture, in Paris, France, in 2014.

TEHRAN, Iran (AP):

An Oscar-nominated Iranian director said yesterday he will not attend this year's Academy Awards because of a travel ban imposed by President Donald Trump.

Asghar Farhadi, an acclaimed director whose film, The Salesman, was nominated for best foreign language film, said the uncertainty surrounding his ability to travel to the United States was "in no way acceptable", and that he would not attend next month's ceremony even if an exception to the ban were possible.

An executive order issued last week temporarily bans the entry of citizens from Iran, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sudan, Somalia and Yemen.

The administration says it is necessary to keep out potential terrorists while stricter vetting procedures are put in place.

Farhadi became the first Iranian to win an Oscar for his 2011 film, A Separation.

He said he had initially hoped to attend the awards.