Lifestyle & Food : Quick and tasty salad
It's not yet summer, but we are feeling the heat. Gyms are going to be filled with persons who want to get their bodies just right so they can hit the beach or just wear less clothes. But getting in shape is not just about hitting the gym. Persons also need to pay keen attention to their diets.
THE STAR will be playing its part by providing a tasty recipe or two to help you along that fitness journey.
This week, we share a salad recipe courtesy of Carlyle Kevin Betton.
Callaloo, Tomato and Pineapple Salad
16 callaloo leaves (blanched)
4tbs olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 medium pineapple (peeled and sliced thin)
1 medium tomato (cored and skin removed)
1 small red onion (cut in thin rings)
1 cup cranberry juice
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1. In a small mixing bowl, toss callaloo leaves with half of the oil, salt and pepper, and set aside.
2. Season pineapple with the remaining oil, salt and pepper, and place on a medium-high grill until grill mark is reached.
3. Slice tomato and arrange pineapple, callaloo and tomato alternately with red onions.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, stir together the cranberry juice, balsamic vinegar and honey, and cook until reduced to a syrupy consistency. Then remove from heat and cool completely.
5. When ready to serve, dress the salad with the cranberry-balsamic reduction.