Easy dishes for breakfast
Yes it's back to school time (darn) so persons are once again looking for quick, easy meals to prepare and consume before heading to work or school.
Saltfish fritters is one easy one to get done.
• 11/2 cups counter flour
• 8 ounces saltfish, soaked, deboned and flaked
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 stalk escallion, chopped
• 1 medium tomato, diced
• 1 cup water or milk
• 1 medium egg (optional)
• 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper, deseed, finely chopped
• 1/2 cups Grace Vegetable Oil
In a large bowl, place counter flour, flaked saltfish, chopped onion, escallion and diced tomatoes and mix well.
Gradually add water to make a smooth batter, then egg (if used). Batter should be thick and of a dropping consistency.
Season with salt (if used), black pepper and scotch bonnet pepper.
In a large skillet, heat Grace Vegetable Oil, drop batter by tablespoons full into hot oil, and fry until brown on one side. Turn and continue frying until done.
Drain on absorbent paper towel. Serve hot.
(Method Note: Saltfish may be soaked overnight or boiled for 30 minutes)
Other protein ideas such as Frankfurters or Vienna Sausage may be used instead of saltfish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes, cooking time: 20 minutes
Scrambled Eggs with Vienna sausages are another easy alternative.
• 4 large eggs
• 1 can Grace Chicken Vienna Sausage
• 1/2 cup water or milk
• 1/4 cup red sweet pepper, diced (optional)
• 1/4 cup green sweet pepper, diced
• 1/4 cup yellow sweet pepper, diced (optional)
• 1/4 cup chopped escallion
• 1 teaspoon scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon Grace Caribbean Traditions Black Pepper
• 2 tablespoons Grace Margarine
Whisk eggs lightly, cut Grace Chicken Vienna Sausages into small pieces and add to the whisked eggs.
Add water, sweet peppers, escallion, scotch bonnet pepper, onion, salt and black pepper and mix well.
Heat saute pan, add Grace Hello Margarine and allow to melt. Pour in the egg mixture and stir frequently until the mixture sets.
Serve with fried dumplings or slices of bread.
Preparation time: 20 minutes