Knife attack victim Kvitova to play at French Open

by

May 27, 2017
Petra Kvitova. (AP Photo)

PARIS, AP:

Only two months after picking up her racket for the first time following a knife attack at her home, Petra Kvitova will be playing at the French Open.

The two-time Wimbledon champion said yesterday she will make her comeback at Roland Garros, although she still lacks power and strength.

"I knew this day would come," said Kvitova, who was attacked by an intruder last year. "I'm really happy that really here, the dream comes true."

Kvitova has missed all season while recovering from surgery on her racket-holding left hand. She sustained damage to the tendons in her left hand, along with injuries to all five fingers and two nerves, during the attack.

Doctors initially thought she would need more time before returning to tennis. But Kvitova's recovery was faster than expected and she said last month that she was signing up for the French Open, which begins Sunday, in hopes of being able to compete.

Kvitova, who won the Wimbledon title in 2011 and 2014 and climbed as high as number two in the WTA rankings, was not allowed to speak about the attack itself because a police investigation is still ongoing. However, she spoke about the anxiety associated with her dreadful experience.

Kvitova got rid of the splint after two weeks and started to move her fingers slightly. She said she can't still move them completely.

Kvitova also consulted with a hand specialist in the French city of Grenoble every month and she started practicing with a racket at the end of March.

Other Sports Stories