Babyfather doesn't want me to see my son


February 08, 2017

Dear Pastor,

I am a regular reader of your column and listen to your show. I want you to know that you are doing a good job.

I am a 28-year-old practical nurse and I have a six-year-old son.

I am having a serious problem getting my son from his father. Since we have been separated, his father has been giving me a hard time.

I told him that I wanted my son to live with me permanently. He doesn't want that. He is very controlling.

I told him that I want my son for the holiday and his remark to me was, "you better have clothes for him down at your house".

Whenever I have my son with me, his father does not support him.

I am just tired of this situation between me and his father. I want my son to come and live with me, but his father makes it very difficult for me to be able to even see my child.

I love my son very much and I am having emotional stress over my only child.

Can I take my child's father to family court for child support even though my son is not living with me permanently? I need your advice on what to do.


Dear Concern,

I am not a lawyer, as you know. Therefore, I cannot give legal advice. I am sure, however, that you have a right to see your son and to spend time with him once a week.

I suggest, therefore, that you take this matter to the court. If his father does not wish to sit with you and decide when you can have visitation rights, you have no alternative but to go to court.

You have not stated why your son should be taken from his father to live with you permanently.

You would have to prove to the court that it would be better for your child to live with you than with his father.

Don't be afraid to do what is right. If your son was living with you and you refused to allow his father to spend some time with him, he probably would have fought you in court.

So please do what is right and allow the court to make the decision.


Other Tell Me Pastor Stories