Policeman owes four month's rent


November 06, 2015

A landlord is hopping mad that his tenant, who is a policeman, had virtually cheated him out of thousands of dollars for rent.

She says she rented her

premises to the policeman because she thought he would be very responsible and honest. She has pledged never to rent her house to another policeman.

According to the landlord, the policeman has not contacted her since he moved from the house last month.


"I did not even know that he was moving from the house, although I live next door to him," she explained.

"He used to pay the rent on time at first, but after a time, he began making late payments. He stopped paying me rent for several months, and when I asked him the reason, he told me he was on suspension.

"I did not give him notice because I was in sympathy with him that he was not working. He told me the suspension was lifted and he returned to work sometime last year. He continued paying his rent, but for the last four months, he made excuses when I asked him for the rent.

"I was shocked last month when I observed that he had moved without notifying me. He moved out when he knew I was not at home because I live next door to the house I rented him. He did not even have the courtesy to give me the keys for the house. He saw a friend driving my car days after he moved out and he stopped my friend and threw the keys for the house into the car.

"Now this policeman has moved away with four months' rent, which amounts to $68,000. In addition, he owes light bill for $35,000 and a water bill for $30,000. I tried calling him several times, but he does not answer his phone.

"I can't believe that a policeman who swore to uphold the law could really behave in this fashion. I rented him the premises because I believed as a policeman, he would be responsible and honest. Some of my neighbours suggested that I should make a complaint to the superintendent at the police station where he works about the situation. I need the money to clear up the bills that he owes," she said.

You could ask the superintendent to speak to him to see if he will pay his debts. The best recourse for you, however, is to sue him for the total owing to you.

Other News Stories