Female injured in 'free ride' demands money - says Good Samaritan gave fake info to cops

February 06, 2017
Satoya Cargill
Satoya Cargill


It has been more than a year since Satoya Cargill met in a frightful car accident, and she is still reeling from its effects. Now, she is imploring the man who offered her a ride in his vehicle to come forward and compensate her.

"He should be responsible for his actions. I know that he was being a good Samaritan by offering me the ride, but in a case where somebody was injured, you should take responsibility for your actions," 25-year-old Cargill lamented.

She said she cannot locate the man because he provided incorrect information to the police. Now, the Kingstoninan woman is left in severe pain, with an undetermined sum of medical bills. She also lost her job as she was unable to work after the accident.

"Doctors sent me to do physiotherapy for almost four weeks, but right after that I started feeling the pains again. It feels like someone is stabbing me with a needle. Sometimes, I feel my knees just give way. I actually fell one time," Cargill said, adding that she is unable to continue treatment because she cannot afford it.

The incident occurred on January 9 last year, at almost 2 a.m. Cargill had just completed her night shift as a telephone operator in Kingston. Feeling a little peckish, she went to a jerk pan on Chisholm Avenue to order a meal, she told THE STAR.


Legal advice


"The chicken guy had a friend there that drove, so he suggested that it's too late for me to walk to a bus stop, so the friend offered me a lift and I accepted it. As soon as he moved off, he ran directly into an ice-cream parlour," Cargill said.

She said she suffered injuries to her right knee and back, but did not know it was serious. However, when she woke up to go to work, she realised she could not move due to the severity of the pain.

Cargill said she communicated the situation to her employers and sought medical attention as well as legal advice after. However, she was dismissed from work due to her three-and-a-half-week absence.

To make matters worse, Cargill's lawyer told her that the information the driver provided to police officers did not match the information the insurance company has. Checks with several other insurance companies also came up empty.

After months of hunting down the driver, Cargill said she feels hopeless.

"This has set me back because I lost a job. It has set me back financially. It has wasted my time going around trying to get all this information that's not even valid. So, that's frustrating," she said.

Other News Stories