Former CONCACAF president Webb facing life ban

by

May 05, 2016
Portland Trail Blazers guard Brian Roberts, left, dribbles in front of Golden State Warriors guard Ian Clark during the first half in Game two of a second-round NBA basketball playoff series in Oakland, on Tuesday. (AP Photo)

ZURICH (CMC):

Popular former CONCACAF boss Jeffrey Webb is facing a life ban from football after FIFA's ethics committee opened formal proceedings against him, relating to his recent guilty plea to corruption charges in a United States court last year.

Football's world governing body said yesterday the adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee would mull over the investigatory chamber's recommendation of "a lifelong ban from all football-related activities" for Webb's violation of its code of ethics.

"The adjudicatory chamber of the ethics committee, chaired by Mr Hans-Joachim Eckert, has opened formal adjudicatory proceedings against Mr Jeffrey Webb, based on the final report submitted by the investigatory chamber," FIFA said.

"The adjudicatory chamber has carefully studied the report of the investigatory chamber, under the chairmanship of Dr Cornel Borbely, and decided to institute formal adjudicatory proceedings against Mr Webb, formerly the president of CONCACAF, a vice-president of FIFA, a member of the executive committee of the Caribbean Football Union and the president of the Cayman Islands Football Association.

"The final report was transmitted to the adjudicatory chamber on 26 April 2016, with a recommended sanction of a lifelong ban from all football-related activities for violations of articles 13, 15, 18, 19 and 21 of the FIFA Code of Ethics."

The move by FIFA comes after Webb pleaded guilty to one count of racketeering conspiracy, three counts of wire- fraud conspiracy and three counts of money-laundering conspiracy in a New York court last November.

Other Sports Stories