Man U beaten by West Ham after attack on team bus


May 11, 2016
West Ham's Diafra Sakho (right) scoring the opening goal during the English Premier League match between West Ham and Manchester United at Boleyn Ground stadium in London on Tuesday.
West Ham's Winston Reid (centre) celebrates after scoring against Manchester United during the English Premier League match at Boleyn Ground stadium in London yesterday.
The Manchester United team bus with damage to the tinted external window, outside Upton Park, London, yesterday.


Manchester United's hopes of Champions League football took a hit yesterday in a 3-2 defeat at West Ham that followed an attack on the visiting team's bus as it arrived for the match.

Objects were thrown as the bus reached the stadium for West Ham's last ever game at the Boleyn Ground, ahead of its move to the Olympic Stadium next season. Video footage showed damage to sections of the tinted external windows, while the clear internal windows appeared intact.

Police said one of its officers and a member of the public were injured in the incidents, while the kickoff was delayed by 45 minutes. During the game, a water bottle was thrown at United goalkeeper David de Gea.

The English Football Association said in a statement that it "strongly condemns the unsavoury incidents this evening.

"We will work closely with both clubs and the Metropolitan Police to fully investigate these matters."

team's favour

Inside the ground, Winston Reid headed a late winner to give West Ham a victory that left United in fifth place in the standings with 63 points, two points behind crosstown rivals Manchester City with one round of matches to play on Sunday.

Yesterday's match swung in one team's favour and then the other, with striker Diafra Sakho giving West Ham a ninth minute lead as the visitors stuttered.

France forward Anthony Martial came to United's rescue, scoring both goals for a 2-1 lead that would have seen his team leapfrog Manchester City.

Instead, West Ham's France midfielder Dmitry Payet provided heading opportunities for Michail Antonio in the 76th minute and Reid in the 80th to score the vital goals as West Ham closed the book on 112 years at Upton Park.

"This ground deserved a farewell result like that," West Ham manager Slaven Bilic told the BBC. "We knew it was going to be a great night but there was a lot of pressure because we didn't want to lose."

Other Sports Stories