Sacking shocks Ambrose
ST JOHN'S, Antigua (CMC):
Bowling legend Sir Curtly Ambrose says he is shocked by his sacking as West Indies bowling consultant, and also claimed he was blind-sided by the decision.
The 52-year-old, who has served in the role for the past three years, said he had only been informed of the decision by head coach Phil Simmons less than a week ago.
"I only learnt about it from head coach Phil Simmons on Wednesday [last week], and when he told me, I said to him that I am very disappointed, because I never expected it, and I never saw it coming because he never gave me any indication he was going to let me go," Sir Curtly told the Observer newspaper here.
"So, it came as a bit of a shock basically, but I haven't decided which direction I am going to take just yet."
Last Friday, the West Indies Cricket Board announced that the Antiguan would be replaced by former Barbados and West Indies A fast-bowler Roddy Estwick, who was recently bowling coach for Barbados Pride in the regional four-day championship.
Sir Curtly said he had been told by Simmons that he required a bowling consultant who was "more technical", hence the decision to go with Barbadian Estwick.
"I spoke to head coach Phil Simmons, and he told me that he wanted someone who is more technical to work with the fast bowlers," Sir Curtly explained.