Blake withdraws from World Relays

May 09, 2019
Yohan Blake
Yohan Blake
Dr Warren Blake
Dr Warren Blake
1
2

Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) President Dr Warren Blake told STAR Sports that he's gravely disappointed that former World 100m champion Yohan Blake has withdrawn from Jamaica's team to the IAAF World Relays.

The 29-year-old was selected to run the 4x100m on the team with Nesta Carter, Kenroy Anderson, Jevaughn Minzie, Tyquendo Tracey and Julian Forte.

But the athlete, who has a personal best of 9.69 seconds, the second-fastest ever time over 100m, wanted to run the 4x200m as well, according to the president of the association.

"One of the disappointments is that Yohan Blake withdrew from the team for a less-than-ideal reason," Warren Blake said.

"The reason presented is that he cannot travel so far to only run in one relay. His handlers wanted him to run in both the 4x100m and the 4x200m, which makes no sense because the events are less than half-hour apart, so that is the reason why it was never considered. They said that they wouldn't make him go so far just to run in one race."

The final of the 4x200m is scheduled to kick off at 7.23 a.m. (Jamaica time), while the 4x100m final will go off 29 minutes later.

Without providing the exact date of the sprinter's withdrawal, the administrator said it happened recently.

"It (withdrawal) was after the team was named," Dr Blake said.

Yohan, the fastest Jamaican this year, opened his season last weekend at the PURE Athletics Sprint Elite Meet in Florida with a sub-10 second clocking.

He posted 10.01 in the preliminary round before blitzing to 9.98 seconds in the final.

The time puts him third on the IAAF top performers' list for this season.

Other Sports Stories