Weird News

by

December 30, 2016

Ikea is pleading with teenagers to stop having sleepovers in its stores.

The furniture giant, which is famous for selling comfy household attire and reasonably priced furniture, has been forced to increase its security after 10 cases of teens sneaking into the premises at night were recorded.

The stealthy youngsters avoided security detection and managed to bunk down in the store's beds until opening time the next morning.

The sleepover craze is believed to have started after two YouTubers posted about their overnight stay in a store earlier this year, publishing a video to Youtube of the pair jumping on the store's beds.

And with the craze becoming popular around the world, a spokesperson has revealed they are open to the idea of a planned sleepover event.

They told the BBC: "We appreciate that people are interested in Ikea and want to create fun experiences. However, the safety and security of our co-workers and customers is our highest priority and that's why we do not allow sleepovers in our stores.

"We welcome anybody with an idea of creating an event at Ikea to contact us so that we can discuss it together in advance."

Cats and dogs received the ultimate festive gift of being treated to a night at a 'Pet Heaven'.

Emergency vet provider Vets Now treated the loving pets like VIPs for one night and showered them in posh dinners and drinks, to help raise awareness of the increased danger pets face at Christmas.

The campaign wants to highlight the plight of pets at Christmas, including furry friends accidentally eating novelty gifts, and five million dog owners unknowingly feeding their pets harmful food such as Christmas puddings, mince pies and chocolate.

The night of luxury at Pet Heaven included a 'dog's dinner Christmas spread', which used only ingredients that are safe for dogs to eat, as well as offering cats a real treat of the world's first catnip bar, which included catnip-laced cocktails.

Firefighters were called to a home to extinguish a burning Christmas pudding.

The emergency services were alerted to the incident at a flat in Lincolnshire after onlookers spotted smoke escaping from the home.

Ten firefighters attended the emergency of the reported smell of burning, only to be faced with a Christmas pudding in flames, after it had been scorched to cinders in a microwave.

And according to Lincolnshire Live, overheating incidents are not uncommon to emergency services around the festive period, with a crew being called to rescue a family's Christmas dinner last year when their oven caught fire as they roasted their turkey.

The crew took the burning turkey to the station and finished cooking the main course for the family.

Experts have discovered a rare 1983 new pence 2p coin could be worth thousands.

One of them, which has the word 'New Pence' instead of 'Two Pence' has already sold on eBay for PS100.

Coins expert Philip Mussell told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "One is when a mistake is made by the Royal Mint, like a 20p without a date, for example, or a 1983 2p coin accidentally printed with the old wording 'New Pence'. Mistakes are eminently collectible.

"Other collectibles are redesigns or limited-edition releases. For example, an Olympic 50p with a swimmer was recently rereleased."