Typhoon smashes into Philippines

by

September 17, 2018
Workers transfer sacks of grains from a toppled truck that fell into an area where the road was being repaired following floodwaters in Cagayan province, northeastern Philippines yesterday. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

HONG KONG (AP):

Typhoon Mangkhut barrelled into southern China on Sunday, killing two people after lashing the Philippines with strong winds and heavy rain that left at least 64 dead and dozens more feared buried in a landslide.

More than 2.4 million people had been evacuated in southern China's Guangdong province by Sunday evening to flee the massive typhoon, and nearly 50,000 fishing boats were called back to port, state media reported. It threatened to be the strongest typhoon to hit Hong Kong in nearly two decades.

"Prepare for the worst," Hong Kong Security Minister John Lee Ka-chiu urged residents.

That warning came after Mangkhut's devastating march through the northern Philippines, where the storm made landfall Saturday on Luzon island with sustained winds of 205 kilometres (127 miles) per hour and gusts of 255kph (158mph).

Police Superintendent Pelita Tacio said 34 villagers had died and 36 remained missing in landslides in two villages in Itogon town in the northern Philippine mountain province of Benguet.

Itogon Mayor Victorio Palangdan told The Associated Press by phone that at the height of the typhoon's onslaught Saturday afternoon, dozens of people, mostly miners and their families, rushed into an old three-storey building in the village of Ucab.

The building, a former mining bunkhouse that had been transformed into a chapel, was obliterated when part of a mountain slope collapsed. Three villagers who managed to escape told authorities what happened.