Curried chicken with coconut milk
As Jamaicans look forward to tuning in to see the Olympic Games or actually go to Brazil to experience it first hand, Grace Foods, the official nutrition sponsor of Jamaica's athletic team, is making preparations to bring good home cooking to Rio de Janeiro.
Chef Karl Thomas will head a culinary team to the Olympics, where they will be responsible for creating real Jamaican dishes for the athletes and team administrators.
One of the dishes that Chef Thomas will prepare is Curried Chicken. Today he shares his recipe:
n 1lb chicken, cut up
n 2 fl oz Water
n 1oz onion, blended
n 1oz garlic, blended
n 1oz scallion, blended
n 1 teaspoon Grace yellow Hot Pepper
n 1 teaspoon salt
n 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
n 8 fl oz Grace Coconut Milk
n 1 tablespoon oil, vegetable
n 2 teaspoons curry powder
1. Add the following ingredients to a blender: water, onion, garlic, scalation and Grace Hot Pepper. Blend until smooth, then set aside.
2. Season chicken with salt, pepper and curry powder then add blended seasoning. Marinate for a couple of hours or, if possible, overnight.
3. Add oil to a pan and heat over medium flame. Add chicken and cook until all the sides are light brown in colour. Add water, cover and allow chicken to cook, adding water and stir occasionally until it cooks
4. When the chicken is just about tender, add Grace Coconut Milk and allow the sauce to reduce to form a gravy
5. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot.