February 11, 2016

The South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) has condemned threats reportedly being made against nurses at the Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) in Kingston, THE STAR understands.

According to SERHA, who did not state the manner in which the threats were being made, the issue came to light following an article published in THE STAR on February 5, 2016, which alleged that a patient delivered twin babes at the hospital and one was taken away.

In a press release from the agency, which was sent to our newsroom five days after representatives of the hospital were questioned regarding allegations made by the teen's mother, the issue affecting the nurses was brought to the fore.

Inciting violence

In the release SERHA said, "The nurses are an integral part of the health team at VJH and must not feel threatened in any way while they carry out their duties. The region is urging the persons who are engaged in inciting violence against the nurses to desist from this kind of behaviour, which has left the VJH nursing staff concerned for their safety."

In regard to the matter at hand, which has since triggered an investigation, SERHA said, "Investigations into the matter revealed that no less than seven medical professionals witnessed the patient deliver a single baby. A senior medical staff also explained to the mother that only one baby was delivered and the patient indicated that she was satisfied with the explanation given."

Further concerns

The release also outlined that the hospital management is willing to again meet with the mother to address any further concerns she may have regarding this matter.

Meanwhile, Dr Jephthah Ford, who has been helping the family of the teen with the matter, has recommended that the family retain an attorney, which has since been done.

According to Ford, the ultrasound results, which can be revisited by the hospital, should bring some clarity to the issue. He also noted that a well-known attorney would be writing to the hospital authorities in short order.

Efforts by THE STAR yesterday to speak with the attorney proved futile.

Other News Stories