Ramdin sanctioned by WICB over Twitter rant
ST JOHN'S, Antigua, (CMC):
Discarded West Indies wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin has been penalised by the West Indies Cricket Board for his Twitter rant last week announcing his sacking from the Test squad.
The WICB said yesterday the Trinidadian's actions had been in contravention of their policy and had moved to impose sanctions on the player.
"Denesh Ramdin had expressed dissatisfaction with his non-selection on the Test squad for the upcoming series against India on social media last week, following dialogue with the Chairman of Selectors," the WICB said in a statement.
"This was in breach of the WICB policy and the terms of his retainer contract. As a consequence, Ramdin has since been sanctioned."
The release did not state the nature of the sanction.
Last Tuesday, the 31-year-old Ramdin took to Twitter to inform followers he would not be taking part in the four-Test series against India starting later this month.
Ramdin claimed he had been told by new chairman of selectors, Courtney Browne, that his batting average was not good enough.
"Last 2 innings over 60 vs Australia down under but not good enough to play anymore," one of Ramdin's tweets said.
A former West Indies Test captain, Ramdin averages 25 from two and a half years ago against New Zealand in Hamilton.
He has struggled with the bat in his last 11 Tests over a 12-month period, averaging just 22, but showed signs of form in his last two innings on the tour of Australia, scoring 59 in Melbourne last December and 62 in Sydney last January.