Humble Reward - JFF adds Humble Lion players to national training squad
Following a call-out by a STAR Sports article, which pointed to the fact that no player from Red Stripe Premier League, league title winners Humble Lion was included in two previous Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) senior men's team training camps, two players from the club were given calls for Monday's camp.
The JFF belatedly summoned goalkeeper Kadeen Davis and attacker Ricardo Dennis after two weeks of training, with the pair being added to the squad that will train from May 29 to June 1 at the JFF training centre at the University of the West Indies campus in Mona.
"They (JFF) have added our goalkeeper Kadeen Davis and Ricardo Dennis to the training squad, The players have been added to the programme," confirmed president of Humble Lion Mike Henry during an interview with STAR Sports yesterday.
Henry had questioned the non-inclusion of any of his players in the programme, despite a season where the Clarendon-based club won the Red Stripe Premier League regular season title with 61 points.
Humble Lion were also the best defensive team and the most consistent for the season. However, they were knocked out at the semi-final stage by Arnett Gardens in the league championships play-offs.
"I would think that the number one club in winning the Premier League regular season title not having even one player in the Jamaica national senior team camp needs to be questioned," Henry told STAR Sports in yesterday's lead story.
The training camps are in preparation for the following friendly games and regional tournaments
• June 13 - International Friendly Peru vs Jamaica at the Stadium Monumental de la Universidad Nacional San August in the city of Arequipa, match time 7:30 p.m. (local time)
• June 22 - Scotiabank CFU Men's Caribbean Cup Semi Final, Jamaica v French Guiana
• July 9 - 2017 Gold Cup Curacao v Jamaica Group Stage
• July 13 - 2017 Gold Cup Mexico v Jamaica Group Stage
• July 16 - 2017 Gold Cup Jamaica v El Salvador Group Stage