Whitmore demands better
AFTER suffering a 1-2 loss to Super League side Rivoli at Spanish Town's Prison Oval last Wednesday, the Reggae Boyz will look for redemption against two other teams in the National Premier League playoffs before departing for a friendly match against Peru.
The Boyz will this evening face Priory Academy, starting 4:00 at Drax Hall, St Ann. Tomorrow morning they will face Cavalier at 7:00 at the Jamaica Football Federation's Technical Centre at the University of the West Indies, Mona.
The delegation will depart for Peru on Sunday at 7:30 am but Whitmore wants the Boyz to step up their game first. He had blamed last week's 1-2 loss on "an intense workout in their morning training session", but added that the team still had a lot of work to do ahead of upcoming international assignments.
He said there was no excuse for the defeat and demanded that the players be more professional and mentally tougher.
"We gave up two silly goals, which is unacceptable at this level. It shouldn't matter who we are playing, this is the national team, but this is football and the more these players play, the more they will understand. What we are trying to change is their whole approach, their whole attitude.
"We are not talking about Premier League or Super League or Major League attitude, we are talking about international behaviour and that is why we are here, so we still have a lot of work to do," he said.
Nicholas Nelson netted both Rivoli goals, capitalising on poorly headed back passes from Jermaine 'Teddy' Johnson and Rosario Harriott, respectively.
• June 13 - International Friendly Peru vs Jamaica at the Stadium Monumental de la Universidad Nacional San August in the city of Arequipa , match time 7:30 p.m. (local time)
• June 22 - Scotiabank CFU Men's Caribbean Cup Semi Final, Jamaica v French Guiana
• July 9 - 2017 Gold Cup Curacao v Jamaica Group Stage
• July 13 - 2017 Gold Cup Mexico v Jamaica Group Stage
• July 16 - 2017 Gold Cup Jamaica v El Salvador Group Stage