No fear of 'shottas' at Effortville
SHELDON Holness, manager of Red Stripe Premier League outfit Humble Lion, said the club will be pulling out all the stops to ensure spectators attending games on match days will be safe following an upsurge of violence in the area.
"I cannot say whether we are going to have low turnout of spectators, but what I can say is that we have put in a lot of security measures on a match day," said Holness.
"On a match day, coming to Humble Lion, there is the police working with the club, who are hired for that day," said Holness.
"There is additional private security, upwards of 30 security personnel on the ground, on any given match day, both uniformed and unmarked," he said.
Safe place for football
Seven persons were shot in the community last week, four fatally, including a 14-year-old and a six-year-old. Holness, however, told STAR Sports Effortville will be a safe place for football this season.
"We are pretty comfortable that we can secure our fans and we want to put it out there that fans can rest assured their security will be high on our agenda, going into a directors' meet, as we seek to start the season.
"Let me put it out there that the violence in Effortville has never affected football in any shape or form," said Holness.
"We have been having football at Effortville for years and I am sure you have never heard of any instance where football was affected in any way," he said.
"Yes, the community has some challenges and the member of parliament is working along with the police to have the matter return to some semblance of order but, as it relates to football, as it is now, the violence does not affect the football."
Humble Lion will play away to Boys' Town in their opening match on Sunday.