Laying down the law! - PFAJ take action against RSPL clubs, players

February 17, 2018
File Marvin Stewart of Tivoli Garden FC tries to stop Tyreek Magee (right) of Harbour View from advancing during their Red Stripe Premier League game at the Harbour View Stadium on Thursday, February 15, 2018.
Dismissed Tivoli Gardens captain Romaine Brackenridge (right) looks on as his side played the remaining 22 minutes of their suspended Red Stripe Premier League game against Harbour View. Brackenridge received two yellow cards when the teams met on February 7.

Tivoli Gardens FC striker Jermaine 'Teddy' Johnson will serve a three match suspension, while Marcelino Blackburn will be banned for two matches, following a ruling from the Operations Committee of the Professional Football Association of Jamaica (PFAJ) on the abandoned Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) game between Harbour View and Tivoli Gardens at the Harbour View Stadium on February 7. Also, both clubs have been fined a combined $70,000, with Tivoli bearing the brunt ($50,000) of that total.

However, the case against UWI physiotherapist, Barrington Gayle, for threats against a match official was thrown out  by the committee due to lack of substantial evidence.

The game between Harbour View and Tivoli was blown off after 68 minutes after missiles from the stands disrupted proceedings, with the Stars of the East leading 2-0, and Tivoli reduced to nine men after Johnson and captain Romaine Brackenridge were ejected.

Following an enquiry into the incident by the PFAJ Operations Committee, Tivoli were fined in accordance with Article 68.3 of the regulations. This relates to the teams failing to control the behaviour of its players, officials and supporters.


Harbour View were also fined $20,000, also under Article 68.3, but for failing in their responsibility to ensure order and control at the their home venue.

Meanwhile, Tivoli striker Johnson was found in breach of Article 57 and was suspended for three games and fined a total of $20,000. He received a one match suspension and was fined $15,000 for threats against the officials. He received further punishment of two games, and a $5,000 fine for assaulting a match official (without causing harm).

Harbour View's veteran striker Blackburn, suffered a similar fate but got lesser fine, as he received a two match ban and was fined $10,000 for breach of Article 69, for his act of retaliation.

From their investigation into the charge of threat against a match official by UWI physiotherapist Gayle, the committee found conflicting evidence and was not able to uphold the charge beyond a reasonable doubt. As a result, the committee dismissed the charge against Gayle.

However, the committee was convinced that an altercation occurred and that it is likely that a member of  UWI Football Club threatened the referee, and as such the Operations Committee reserves the right to review the matter, if additional evidence is obtained.

Other Sports Stories