Aids Affairs: I got an STD from my aunt's husband


February 23, 2016

Dear Counsellor:

Sometime ago, I had sex with my aunt's husband. We did not use a condom. I live with my aunt and her husband and he has been pressuring me for sex. He said that if I didn't have sex with him he wouldn't allow me to stay in the house.

Counsellor, I am confused and not sure what to do. The arrangement my mother had with my aunt is that I would help out in the house and then go to evening classes so that I could do over my maths exam. I don't want to go back home because there is no future back home for me, but at the same time, I don't want to continue having sex with my aunt's husband. My situation here is not pretty.

Shortly after my last sexual encounter with my aunt's husband, I noticed an unusual discharge and intense itching from my vagina. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a sexual disease. I don't remember the name of the disease but I think it is Chlamydia. Is Chlamydia dangerous?

I don't have money to purchase the medication because I had to pay almost $4,000 to see the doctor. I cannot ask my aunt's husband for money because he is going to loud up his mouth on me.

While not giving my girlfriend the details, she told me that I am just to soak in warm, salty water and it will go away. Can warm salty water really help? What if I'm not treated?

Unfaithful Niece

Dear Unfaithful Niece:

I am sorry to hear that your aunt's husband has pressured you into having sex and has now infected you with Chlamydia. Yes, Chlamydia is a dangerous sexually transmitted infection (STI). As much as your friend would like to help you, her advice of warm, salty water just won't help.

Untreated, Chlamydia can cause serious and permanent problems. Chlamydia can spread into your womb and Fallopian tubes, causing an infection known as Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). Pelvic Inflammatory Disease can make a woman sterile (unable to have children). Any damage that happens before you are treated will last the rest of your life. Early treatment is very important.

You should visit the nearest health centre where you don't have to pay. You could also go back to the health-care provider you saw and explain in confidence your situation and your inability to afford treatment. It is very obvious that you are not happy in your present situation; therefore, you must talk with someone who you can trust and who is able to help you out of your present situation.

For more information on condom use, HIV/AIDS, and other sexually transmitted infections, call the AIDS/STD Helpline at 967-3830, 967-3764 or toll free at 1888-991-4444