Weird News


September 20, 2016

Police are calling it the "lowest of the low:" A man gave a fake $50 bill to a southeastern Michigan girl who was running a lemonade stand to raise money for Alzheimer's disease research.

The Monroe News says the man on a bike didn't buy anything last Sunday in Monroe. He presented a note that said he was deaf and wanted to break the $50 bill into smaller bills. Maya Leachman says she was a "little mad" over the incident. She and her mother didn't look closely at the phoney bill until they counted donations later that day. Police Corporal Terese Herrick says, "Hopefully, we'll be able to get him." Maya, a fourth-grader, raised slightly more than $1,100 after accounting for the $50 loss.

The city's main transit agency plans to try urine-repelling paint to combat smells and complaints about cleanliness.

The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) will run a trial this fall of a product called Ultra-Ever Dry, a surface coating that makes urine spray back on the offender.

SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch said complaints are common for any large transit system. SEPTA's maintenance crews are always looking for new ways to tackle clean-up issues aside from their regular cleaning routines, he said. The coating has been used in public spaces in San Francisco and Hamburg, Germany. "From what we've understood, it seems like there's been some success (with the coating), so we are certainly willing to give this a try," Busch said.

San Francisco's public works department used the clear, liquid repellent on some of its city walls to fight a chronic public urination problem. A light pole corroded by urine fell on a car in San Francisco last year. Public urination in Philadelphia, as in San Francisco, is illegal.

The offence carries a $300 fine. SEPTA officials haven't decided whether they'll coat elevators, which San Francisco's Bay Area Rapid Transit agency did to 80 elevators last month, or try the repellent on walkways or walls.

The news website Billy Penn first reported the agency's plans. Busch said trial costs are minimal.

A man who got stuck head-first between two rocks on a Rhode Island jetty while trying to retrieve his cellphone has been rescued with the help of olive oil.

WJAR-TV reports it happened Saturday afternoon near a fishing area in Point Judith. Authorities say the man dropped his phone and got stuck up to his chest when he bent down to retrieve it. Narragansett firefighters and environmental police spent most of the afternoon trying to free him before the tide came in. After about 21/2 hours, they were able to remove him with the help of olive oil. The man went to a hospital to be treated for hypothermia and a small injury to his foot.

Authorities say a robbery suspect somehow made off with a Terre Haute police car despite being handcuffed behind his back.

The Tribune Star reports that officers had placed 28-year-old Cody Tryon of Terre Haute in the back of the patrol car. Police say that while unattended, Tyron kicked out the metal screen separating the front and back seats, slid through the opening and drove away. Police using GPS caught up with him elsewhere in Terre Haute. They say Tyron rammed several squad cars that tried to block the stolen vehicle before he was again taken into custody. Police say his hands were still restrained behind his back. Tryon was taken to Vigo County jail and booked on charges including motor vehicle theft and battery on a law-enforcement officer.