How to get a house from Food for the Poor

June 24, 2016

The ownership of a house is very important to Jamaicans who seek to own a home in spite of financial circumstances.

One route many people can take to satisfy their desire of owning a home is to apply to the non-profit organisation, Food For The Poor (FFP) Jamaica. Here is how to apply for a house from Food For The Poor Jamaica:

1. A letter of recommendation is required from each applicant, which should briefly explain the situation you are in, fully detailed, in order to paint an image of circumstances.

2. This recommendation should be written by a pastor or Justice of the Peace (JP)

3. Along with this letter of recommendation, the following documents should be attached:

• Land owner: Copies of the land title and tax receipt.

• Leased land: Copies of the lease agreement, signed by a JP. Lease must be for a minimum of 10 years. Land title or tax receipt.

• Land you have received permission to build on:

4. Copies of the permission letter from land owner (signed by a JP), land title or tax receipt should be handed in, and not the original documents.

5. Persons are advised that they should submit the documents to the FFP's Ellerslie Pen office, Spanish Town, St Catherine.

6. The waiting period to learn if your application has been approved six months to a year.

According to their website, FFP, Jamaica is the largest charity organisation in Jamaica.

Food For The Poor Inc., located in Florida, USA, is the largest international relief and development organisation in the United States.

It is an interdenominational Christian organisation that assists the poor in 17 countries in the Caribbean and Latin America.

FFP Jamaica partners with a number of stakeholders including churches, non-governmental and private-sector organisations, children's homes and service organisations throughout the island, dealing directly with the poor to fill their most urgent needs and to encourage self-sufficiency.

Other Features Stories