84 year-old woman raped and murdered ... Cockburn Pen shocked at gruesome act


November 29, 2016
Jermaine Barnaby/Freelance Photographer Members of the community were still in shock yesterday at the murder of senior citizen, Jeneta Gordon.
Jermaine Barnaby/Freelance Photographer Asher Maragh's grandmother, Jeneta Gordon, was raped and murdered in Cockburn Pen, St Andrew on Sunday.
Jermaine Barnaby/Freelance Photographer One of Miss Jenny's relatives in tears yesterday.
Jermaine Barnaby/Freelance Photographer Fitzroy Rowe, a family friend, said he saw the rapist getting dressed in Miss Jenny's bedroom.
Jermaine Barnaby/Freelance Photographer Novleen Edwards, a family friend, could hardly contain herself as she speaks about Jeneta Gordon, the 84 year old granny who was raped and murdered in Cockburn Pen, St Andrew on Sunday.
Jermaine Barnaby/Freelance Photographer Maragh looks at the window through with rapists climbed to gain access to Gordon's bedroom. The 84 year old woman was raped and murdered in Cockburn Pen, St Andrew on Sunday.

... Cockburn Pen shocked at gruesome act

Asher Maragh fought hard to hold back the tears. Although he tied a black piece of cloth around his head to show he is in mourning, Asher has not yet accepted that his grandmother, Jeneta Gordon, was raped and murdered.

Gordon, 84, was killed early Sunday morning after at least two men climbed through a window in her house, raped her, and then killed her. The horrific incident took place the day Angina, one of her four children, was celebrating her 47th birthday.

"When people do things like this, what dem left yuh to do?" Asher said, as he stood at the gate of his grandmother's house in Bell Rock, Cockburn Pen, St Andrew, yesterday.

The men who committed the act reportedly knocked her out with a stone, broke her hip, raped her, and then strangled her to death.

"She has been there for me since I was a baby. It is since I turn big man that I came out of her house. ... I have never seen her naked til that day she died," Asher said as he struggled to compose himself.

"I haven't slept, I haven't eaten," Asher continued, as he reflected on the horrific end his grandmother faced.

One man, who residents alleged was involved in the rape of the old woman, was chased, beaten, and killed by residents.

The other escaped by jumping over a high wall before making his way across the busy Spanish Town Road.

The man who met his demise at the hands of residents is said to have pretended to be Asher.


A neighbour had noticed that Gordon's kitchen window was broken out, and called to inform one of her daughters.

Fitzroy Rowe, a family friend, recalls getting a telephone call asking that he makes checks to see if the old lady was all right.

He was in for a shocker.

"Me start peep and when me a peep me a call Miss Jenny, me caah hear her. And, likkle after, me see a shadow move. Mi say 'a who dat?' and him say 'a me grandmother'."

"Me say 'A yuh grandmother? Suh how yuh guh in deh?' Him caaah tell me, so me say 'any way yuh go in yuh come out'," Rowe told THE STAR about his conversation with one of the men.

He said the man exited the house through the window and then ran out of the yard. He was chased, beaten and killed.

A pair of slippers, reportedly worn by one of the rapists, and a bucket on which he climbed to enter Miss Jenny's house through her window, sits in the yard as evidence of the wicked act.

"When mi see him a him pants him did a put on. Him dead with him pants turn back and front," Rowe said.

Residents described Gordon as a community matriarch. Khaleel Muhammed told THE STAR that 'Miss Jenny' dedicated her life to helping people.

"From me a likkle pickney, she cook late a night. And when the pot done 10 o'clock yuh see she a walk wid all three bowl a soup a carry go give older people then who caah cook or have nothing to eat," Muhammed said

The residents said that the dead man was known to Miss Jenny as she has, from time to time, opened her gates to her yard for him to pick ackees from her tree.

He is said to have visited up to week before last.

Members of the community, from all ages and gender, poured into the streets when THE STAR visited yesterday to express their strongest condemnation for the evil deed that was done to the elderly woman.

Other News Stories