My boyfriend drinks too much


November 13, 2015

Dear Pastor,

I am a 20-year-old female. I am having a problem with my boyfriend. He started going out a lot and drinking. That is something he didn't normally do. The worst part of it is that I can't say anything to have him stop drinking. If I tell him I am going to stay away for a while, he stops and starts again. I am confused. I don't know what to do.


Dear Confused,

I assume you are living with this young man and your concern is he has become an alcoholic. He is drinking to such an excess that he probably cannot help himself. Nothing you say has caused him to stop permanently. He enjoys drinking. His condition is likely to get worst.

professional help

An alcoholic often promises himself he stop drinking. He tells everybody he can stop whenever he wants, but, without professional help, he is not likely to stop.

Alcoholic Anonymous is a good place for him to go. Alcoholic Anonymous was formed by alcoholics to help persons who drink excessively. Spouses can attend the meetings. You may contact this organisation. They meet in different locations. Its number is 1876-794-8347. If this young man is not willing to cooperate to receive help, I suggest you end the relationship with him.


Other Tell Me Pastor Stories